When the Levees Broke is a gut-wrenching documentary that truly opens one’s eyes to the horrors that Americans are subject to, both by nature and the government. Spike Lee does an amazing job piecing together accounts, interviews, and footage alike into an emotionally charged film. This documentary shows precisely what art can achieve by expression, no matter how horrifying the content and experience. This film could be seen as a masterful expression of the grief that New Orleans went through in 2005 and a media work that raised awareness of the situation of the states along the Gulf of Mexico.

I was previously unaware of about 7/8 of the information regarding Katrina. I had seen pictures of people trapped on their roofs and neighborhoods flooded, but to see it up close and hear the accounts of the survivors was something else entirely. I knew nothing about the aftermath, such as the heat wave, the delay of supplies, the behavior of politicians, and the separations. It was so much to take in, it was like I got socked in the face. I can’t even begin to imagine what it was like for the citizens. The survivors guilt, depression, anger, and fear that followed must have been beyond harrowing.

One thing that stood out to me was that in spite of the death and despair, there were some select people (pastors, musicians, artists) who attempted to keep the spirits of the survivors up with music and prayer. It is instances like these that allow one to place a small amount of faith back in humanity, for that ability to cling to a little bit of hope amidst all the destruction.