January 1911

In Bellocq’s Ophelia, we aren’t told a lot about the character writing, but rather we have to piece together the clues ourselves. One entry I keep coming back to is January 1911. In this, Ophelia is writing in response to her friend Constance. In this letter, she reveals that being unable to find a job she has taken a job under Countess P___ at her brothel in Storyville. We do not see Constance’s letter so we can piece together what she is saying in Ophelia’s letter.

“I know you are driven to such harsh words, out of your concern for me, and second, out of your gentle piousness which I still fondly recall-” (15). From this, we piece together after hearing the work her friend was now doing Constance most likely freaked out and it was clear in her letter. She cares for her friend and is worried about the life she is now living. However, Ophelia is quick to reassure her.
“My dear, please do not think I am the wayward girl you describe. I alone have made this choice. Save what I pay for board, what I earn is mine. Now my labor is my own.” (15).

We don’t often think about women who are doing sex work as, making this choice willingly. Usually, we assume it is out of desperation or they were forced/manipulated into this lifestyle. This presents a different perspective that this is Ophelia’s choice and she doesn’t seem to be regretting it. In a world where sex is such a taboo subject, especially for women, Ophelia has seemed to reclaim herself sexually from whatever she had run from. This is a very different perspective from what we are used to having of the Red Light District.