Binx’s Treatment of Women

When we are introduced to the main character Binx at the beginning of The Moviegoer, Binx’s character is a complex one but passive as well. From the beginning, Binx has a passive nature of observing things in the world around him. Binx is directionless and his treatment of women is less stan stellar. “Linda becomes as exalted as I am now. Her eyes glow, her lips become moist and when we dance she brushes her fine long legs against mine. She actually loves me at these times — and not as a reward for being taken to the Blue Room. She loves me because she feels exalted in this romantic place and not in a movie out in the sticks. But all of this is history. Linda and I have parted company. I have a new secretary, a girl named Sharon Kincaid” (5).

Binx flirts and sleeps with his secretaries regularly, this feels like a coping mechanism for dealing with his life being stagnant. He doesn’t know who he is or the meaning of his life. Casual sex seems to be one of the ways he deals with it. However, his treatment of the women he has these casual flings with is less than ideal. Binx can register some of these women at times have genuine feelings for him, but whatever guilt he has he seems to shove down.

At the end of the book, Binx still doesn’t know who he is or the greater meaning of things. But his treatment of women has been improved. He has settled down with Kate and is beginning on starting a life with her and we can see this improvement when they go to see a dying Lonnie. “I had my doubts about Kate’s idea. It was an extravagant womanish sort of whim… although I tried to prepare her for the change, she was not prepared.” (238).

Binx writes off Kate’s ideas to see Lonnie in a rather rude and sexist way, but he still goes with her and even tries to prepare her for the state Lonnie is in at his point. I don’t think the Binx at the beginning of the story would have done this. Maybe it’s the journey he takes but in the end, he clearly cares for Kate and despite his bit of dismissiveness, he is still willing to support her in what she wants to do and even tries to comfort her in his own very awkward way. When Kate expresses her doubts about her mental health, Binx reassures her things will be okay. This is something I don’t think Binx at the beginning to the novel would have been able to do.