I found this movie very intriguing. It explored jazz in the context of funerals and death in New Orleans. What I thought was one of the most interesting parts of the movie was when the older generations of jazz were commenting on the younger generations playing jazz. They lamented the loss of traditions and dirges in the young generation’s memory. It was interesting to see how the older generation was reacting to new traditions that the younger ones were implementing. Met with resistance, I can only wonder if the younger generation stuck to the set traditions or somehow blended the two?

Aside from this question, I also found it really interesting how the group “Guardian of the Flame,” not only empowered black people in New Orleans but also told the history of oppression against African Americans. I really admired the beadwork that was shown in their costumes, their costumes themselves told stories. Not only were their costumes a work of art, but also told important messages about oppression and triumph within them.