A Streetcar Named Desire started off benignly.

Blanche, whom we later find out is Stella’s sister, tries to get off the streetcar to find her sister, Stella’s, place. What she ends up finding shocks her and changes her life forever. I will mostly talk about the role Stanley’s abusive behavior defines this story. Stanley’s true character first comes out during Blanche’s first bath. His proclivity for violence and abusive behavior is seen in this scene. He is demanding, doesn’t take no for an answer, and interrupts his wife constantly. Overall, his attitude towards Stella and Blanche is one of utter contempt and entitlement. 

Stanley: I don’t care if she hears me. Let’s see the papers!

Stella: There weren’t any papers, she didn’t show any papers, I don’t care about papers.

Stanley: Have you heard of the Napoleonic Code?

Stella: No Stanley, I haven’t heard of the Napoleonic Code and if I have, I don’t see what it-

Stanley: Let me enlighten you on a point or two, baby.

After this scene, Stanley confronts Blanche and starts grabbing her belongings. This is just one of the many, many red flags we see in Stanley’s behavior. Flash forward to the first poker game with Stanley and his friends. Here we see Stanley in his element, he is his full true self. He hits and abuses Stella, despite the knowledge that she is pregnant. Here we see who Stanley truly is. In the following scenes, Stella is forced to flee the apartment to the one above. The next day, Stella essentially says that it’s not a big deal, it happens a lot, we still love each other, and in the end she stays with him. (72-73) I have found this to be very common with people who have experienced domestic abuse. The diminishment of the abuse and Blanche’s attempt to get her to leave Stanley, are fairly common. Often, this diminishment is a tell tale sign that a woman is a victim of domestic violence.

Stanley’s behavior is quite honestly appalling and is and was a reality for many women. I find many things about this play problematic, namely among them that Stanley’s violence is left unchecked and uncommented upon. That the rape of Blanche is dismissed, even by her own sister, and that she is chucked into an insane asylum at the end. That Blanche’s mental problems and hallucinations are left undealt with and instead of Blanche being able to access help, she is again dismissed and carted away. Yes, Blanche was mentally unstable and had mental illness, but it was undoubtedly exacerbated by Stanley. In the end, we know how this story ends, even if some parts are left unanswered. Stanley’s abuse likely continued and probably got worse after the baby was born. Stanley’s proclamation that things will go back to normal after Blanche leaves is false in every sense. Quite honestly, there is no resolution at the end for anyone other than Stanley.